All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.06
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionOf the 174 delegates to the Texas convention on secession in 1861, only 8 voted against the motion to secede. James Webb Throckmorton of McKinney was one of them. Yet upon the outbreak of the Civil War, he joined the Confederate Army and fought in a number of campaigns. At war's end, his centrist position as a conservative Unionist ultimately won him election as goverr. Still, his refusal to support the Fourteenth Amendment or to protect aggressively the rights and physical welfare of the freed slaves led to clashes with military officials and his removal from office in 1867.Throckmorton's experiences reveal much about southern society and highlight the complexities of politics in Texas during the latter half of the nineteenth century.Because his life spans one of the most turbulent periods in Texas politics, Texas Confederate, Reconstruction Goverr, the first book on Throckmorton in nearly seventy years, will provide new insights for anyone interested in the Antebellum era, the Civil War, and the troubled years of Reconstruction.
- Author BiographyKENNETH WAYNE HOWELL received his Ph.D. in histroy from Texas A&M University and now serves as assistant professor at Prairie View A&M University. He is author of Henderson County, Texas and coauthor of The Devil's Triangle.
- Author(s)Kenneth Wayne Howell
- PublisherTexas A & M University Press
- Date of Publication15/01/2009
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleSam Rayburn Series on Rural Life
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 17
- Place of PublicationCollege Station
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas A & M University Press
- Content Note18 b&w photos, bib., index
- Weight612 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.