Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $59.43Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $51.94+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJust one hundred and ten miles south of the Texas-Louisiana border, beneath the waters of the Gulf of Mexico, lie two coral reefs, together called the Flower Garden Banks. This coral community, the rthernmost reef system in the United States and a national marine sanctuary, is home to hundreds of kinds of fish and other tropical sea life. Manta rays and turtles visit regularly, as do whale sharks and schools of hammerhead sharks. Other wonders include the annual mass coral spawns and a briny depression called Gollum Lake.Nearby are two other reefs. Stetson Bank, its top spotted with hard corals, mollusks, and sponges, is kwn for its diversity - from black sea hares to golden smooth trunkfish. At Geyer Bank, thousands of butterfly fish dominate a huge population of tropical fish whose density rivals that of the coral reefs in the South Pacific.Protruding from the flat, muddy continental shelf, these and thirty other natural reefs support an exceptional amount and variety of sea life in Texas waters. They sit amid hundreds of oil and gas platforms, which create their own special reef ecosystems.These reefs, equal in their profusion of life and color to the storied reefs of Florida and Hawaii, have t been widely kwn to Texans outside of a small group of scientists and divers. With extraordinary photographs and a kwledgeable first-person narrative, author Jesse Cancelmo instills an appreciation for the beauty and fragility of one of the state's least-kwn natural environments. Texas Coral Reefs will inspire adventurers - both the underwater and armchair varieties - to enjoy these spectacular but little-kwn sites that lie so close to home.
- Author BiographyJESSE CANCELMO is an accomplished underwater photographer and photojournalist. His articles and photos have appeared in diving and wildlife publications, and he is the author of two diving guides. Cancelmo, who lives in Houston, leads diving tour groups in the Caribbean and Pacific and is a contributing writer and photographer for Dive Training Magazine.
- Author(s)Jesse Cancelmo
- PublisherTexas A & M University Press
- Date of Publication15/06/2008
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleGulf Coast Studies
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo.13
- Place of PublicationCollege Station
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas A & M University Press
- Content Note92 colour photos, 2 maps, index
- Weight1084 g
- Width229 mm
- Height267 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Foreword bySylvia A. Earle
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $90.24
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.