All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $107.68
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.65
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $44.25Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.59
- AU $13.84Trending at AU $17.79
- AU $18.22Trending at AU $21.30
About this product
- DescriptionMexico's greatest woman writer. --Roberto Bola A lumius writer ...Boullosa is a masterful spinner of the fantastic --Miami Herald An imaginative writer in the tradition of Juan Rulfo, Jorge Luis Borges, and Cesar Aira, Carmen Boullosa shows herself to be at the height of her powers with her latest vel. Loosely based on the little-kwn 1859 Mexican invasion of the United States, Texas is a richly imagined evocation of the volatile Tex-Mex borderland. Boullosa views border history through distinctly Mexican eyes, and her sympathetic portrayal of each of her wildly diverse characters--Mexican ranchers and Texas Rangers, Comanches and cowboys, German socialists and runaway slaves, Southern belles and dancehall girls--makes her storytelling tremendously powerful and absorbing. Shedding important historical light on current battles over the Mexican--American frontier while telling a gripping story with Boullosa's singular prose and formal invation, Texas marks the welcome return of a major writer who has previously captivated American audiences and is poised to do so again. Carmen Boullosa (b. 1954) is one of Mexico's leading velists, poets, and playwrights. Author of seventeen vels, her books have been translated into numerous world languages. Recipient of numerous prizes and hors, including a Guggenheim fellowship, Boullosa is currently Distinguished Lecturer at City College of New York. Samantha Schnee is founding editor and chairman of the board of Words Without Borders. She has also been a senior editor with Zoetrope, and her translations have appeared in the Guardian, Granta, and the New York Times.
- Author BiographyCarmen Boullosa is one of Mexico's leading novelists, poets, and playwrights. She has published over a dozen novels, two of which were designated the Best Novel Published in Mexico by the prestigious magazine Reforma. Her second novel, Antes won the renowned Xavier Villarutia Prize for Best Mexican Novel. Her novel La otra mano de Lepanto was also selected as one of the Top 100 Novels Published in Spanish in the past 25 years. Boullosa has received numerous prizes and honors, including a Guggenheim fellowship. Also a poet and playwright, she is a Distinguished Lecturer at City College of New York, and her books have been translated into Italian, Dutch, German, French, Portuguese, Chinese, and Russian. Samantha Schnee is the founding editor and chairman of the board of Words Without Borders. She has also been a senior editor with Zoetrope, and her translations have appeared in The Guardian, Granta, and The New York Times.
- Author(s)Carmen Boullosa
- PublisherDeep Vellum Publishing
- Date of Publication02/12/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationTexas
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDeep Vellum Publishing
- Weight328 g
- Width133 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Translated bySamantha Schnee
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.