All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDespite the world's aging population, suitable clothing for the older community is a largely neglected area. This book considers the needs of the growing number of active older people and investigates how recent developments in textiles, fibres, finishes, design and integrated techlogy can be deployed to serve this group and improve quality of life. Part I provides an understanding of the active aging population by considering the group's experiences of and attitudes towards clothing and reviewing the barriers to their adoption of new wearable techlogies. Part II focuses on the needs of the older population, including effective communication with designers and the age-related anatomical and physiological changes that designs should consider. Part III reviews design requirements and processes, and finally Part IV reviews the manufacture of suitable apparel, with chapters on suitable textile fibres, balancing techlogy and aesthetics and wearable electronics.
- Author BiographyJane McCann is Director of the Smart Clothes and Wearable Technologies (SCWT) Research Centre at University of Wales Newport, UK. Her research at SCWT concentrates on the application of smart and intelligent textiles for functional clothing in the areas of protective and corporate wear, performance sport and inclusive clothing design. She was the recipient of the 'Misha Black Award for Innovation in Design Education' in 2003 from the Royal College of Art. David Bryson is a Teaching Fellow in the Faculty of Arts, Design and Technology at the University of Derby, UK. His research interests include the use of scientific photography and multimedia to support learning teaching and assessment in applied science, art and design.
- PublisherElsevier Science & Technology
- Date of Publication22/08/2014
- SubjectIndustrial Chemistry & Manufacturing
- Series TitleWoodhead Publishing Series in Textiles
- Series Part/Volume Number142
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWoodhead Publishing Ltd
- Weight930 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Edited byDavid Bryson,Jane McCann
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.