All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOctober Aubade If I slept too long, forgive me. A rth wind quickened the window frames so the room pitched like a moving train and the pillow's whiff of hickory and shaving soap conjured your body beside me. So I slept in the berth as the train chuffed on, unburdened by waking's cold water, igrant of pain, estrangement, hunger and the crucial fuel the boiler burned to keep the minutes' pistons churning while I slept. Forgive me. That Kind of Happy, the long-awaited second collection by award-winning poet Maggie Dietz, explores the sharp, profound tension between a disquieted inner life and quotidian experience. Central to the book are poems that take up two major life events: becoming a mother and losing a father within a short stretch of time. Here, at the intersection of joy and grief, of persistence and attrition, Dietz wrestles with the questions posed by such conflicting experiences, revealing a mind suspicious of quick fixes and dissatisfied with easy answers. The result is a book as anguished as it is distinguished.
- Author BiographyMaggie Dietz is the author of Perennial Fall, also published by the University of Chicago Press, and coeditor of Americans' Favorite Poems, Poems to Read, and An Invitation to Poetry. She teaches at the University of Massachusetts Lowell.
- Author(s)Maggie Dietz
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitlePhoenix Poets
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight91 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine8 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.