All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThat Yew Tree's Shade (1954) was the seventh crime vel by 'Cyril Hare', m de plume of Alfred Gordon Clark and one of the best-loved names in English 'Golden Age' crime writing. Gordon Clark was a county judge at the time of the vel's composition. When Francis Pettigrew, former barrister and sometime amateur detective, is plucked out of peaceful retirement in the Home Counties to deputise for the County Court judge, the proceedings offer him some unexpected insights into the lives of his new neighbours. And after the body of a penniless widow kwn for her good works is found on Yew Hill, a famous local beauty spot, Pettigrew is drawn into the case as a witness. Cyril Hare's style is easy and fluent, and his books are eminently readable...A great velist . (Spectator).
- Author BiographyCyril Hare was the pseudonym for the distinguished lawyer Alfred Alexander Gordon Clark. He was born in Surrey, in 1900, and was educated at Rugby and Oxford. A member of the Inner Temple, he was called to the Bar in 1924 and joined the chambers of Roland Oliver, who handled many of the great crime cases of the 1920s. He practised as a barrister until the Second World War, after which he served in various legal and judicial capacities including a time as a county court judge in Surrey. Hare's crime novels, many of which draw on his legal experience, have been praised by Elizabeth Bowen and P.D. James among others. He died in 1958 - at the peak of his career as a judge, and at the height of his powers as a master of the whodunit.
- Author(s)Cyril Hare
- PublisherFaber & Faber
- Date of Publication11/12/2008
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFaber & Faber
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight215 g
- Width126 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
- Edition StatementMain
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.33
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.20Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $21.55Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $26.86Trending at AU $27.57
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.