All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA one-of-a-kind vel that plunges readers into the secrets of Afro-Cuban Santeria a world of fascinating beauty, pulsating rhythms, and great mystery. Gabrielle Segovia, Ph.D., is struggling to build a career as a Latina scientist, cope with her third miscarriage, and resuscitate her marriage to fellow biology professor Benito Cruz. Becoming a santera is t in her plans. But everything changes when her best friend, the feisty Patricia Muz, drags her into a French Quarter voodoo shop during a conference in New Orleans. When Gabrielle gets home to the San Francisco Bay Area, the predictions from her on-a-whim reading begin to come true. That's when she learns she hails from a long line of practitioners of Santeria, the religion created when Yoruba slaves combined their ancient rituals with Catholicism. Out of desperation to become a mother and save both her job and her marriage, Gabrielle turns to Puerto Rican relatives living in Miami she hasn't seen since she was a child. She finds herself warmly embraced by three generations of Segovia santeras and drawn into their world of seances, sacred drums, and ritual animal sacrifice.Unexpectedly marked for initiation by the gods and goddesses of the Yoruba pantheon, Gabrielle must decide whether she can bring herself to answer the call. And, if she chooses, commit to the seemingly contradictory life of a scientist who is also a santera. In this powerful debut vel, Irete Lazo captures a vibrant world still unkwn to many and relates a journey that is at once funny, heart-wrenching, and, ultimately, triumphant.
- Author BiographyIrete Lazo (a pseudonym) is a practicing santera and former scientist who received her Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley. She has been a reporter at the San Jose Mercury News, an editor at Latina magazine, and a science correspondent for National Public Radio's Latino USA. She is currently a freelance science writer living with her husband and son in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Accidental Santera is her first novel.
- Author(s)Agent Irete Lazo
- PublisherSt. Martins Press-3pl
- Date of Publication01/10/2008
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSt. Martins Press-3pl
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight426 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.39
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $107.81
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $20.37
- AU $28.09Trending at AU $28.43
- AU $22.61Trending at AU $22.86
- AU $16.48Trending at AU $17.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.