Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides an invative ethical framework for educators and school leaders who find their practice constrained by the demands stemming from accountability legislation. The Active/Ethical Professional proposes an ethical framework for educators and school leaders who find their practice constrained by the demands of policies and structures created in response to accountability legislation. The framework is derived from Michel Foucault's theories of discipline, surveillance, resistance, and care of the self. Gunzenhauser asserts that an educator's dual position of being rmalized (especially in relations with those above them in the education hierarchy) and rmalizing (especially in relations with their students) can be troubling and difficult. The book argues that this position requires educators to be both ethical and active . To be ethical, educators t only need to resolve ethical dilemmas in defensible ways, but they also need to recognize themselves as powerful in relation to others. To be active, educators need to be vigilant for moments when they are placed in the position to be reactive to rmalizing pressures, and they also need to develop clear tions of how they may create opportunities for the cultivation of educational selves - selves that are rich ethically, aesthetically, epistemologically, and politically.
- Author BiographyMichael C. Gunzenhauser is associate professor in the School of Education at the University of Pittsburgh. He is a philosopher of education and qualitative research methodologist, and studies epistemology and ethics as they relate to social justice projects in education and educational research.
- Author(s)Michael G. Gunzenhauser
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication28/04/2012
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Weight454 g
- Width153 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.