All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis exploration of the experiences of adopting parents and children offers unusual insight into adoption's complexity and its profound impact on family life. Based on the author's research in Germany, where she lived and taught, The Adopted Child has a great deal to say about child rearing and identity, as well as offering insights into similarities and differences in family life and adoption in Germany and the United States. Hoffmann-Reim takes the reader through the decision to adopt, the adoption placement procedure, and the transition from applicant to mother and father. She explores differences between emotions experienced in adopting a baby, a toddler, and an older child, and how these emotions can affect relations with the world outside the nuclear family. A central concern is secrecy and disclosure with regard to the adopted child's origins. Based on case studies and extensive interviews, The Adopted Child has fascinated American readers as it did those in Germany. Professionals as well as those interested in adoption and family life in general will find it significant. Sociologists will find it solidly grounded in concepts and traditions from a diversity of related disciplines. And anyone interested in Germans and German society will find the materials revealing, and the author's interpretation insightful and wise.
- Author BiographyChrista Hoffmann-Riem (1937-1990) was professor of sociology at the University of Hamburg in Germany. Anselm Strauss (1916-1996) was an American medical sociologist and professor at the University of Chicago, USA. He was elected fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1980.
- Author(s)Christa Hoffmann-Riem
- PublisherTransaction Publishers
- Date of Publication29/02/2016
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleMarriage and Family Studies
- Place of PublicationSomerset, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTransaction Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight458 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Foreword byAnselm Strauss
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.