All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExcerpt from The Adventurer Why do other men succeed, and I fail? How often does the unsuccessful man ask himself this question as he sees about him, on every side, the evidences of an unattainable prosperity. Clods risen to greatness; mediocrities snuggled into warm berths; dull fellows, without an idea in their wooden heads, perceived high up the ladder, securely perched in affluence. What of better men at the bottom, from whom has been withheld this magic power? What's the matter with them? What invisible lead is weighing down their unfortunate feet? Why has Fate assigned them all the kicks, and reserved the halfpence for the others? Lewis Kirkpatrick, on the top of a Chelsea bus, was moodily turning over these things in his mind. Ordinarily he would have given them very little thought, but the drizzling London day was favorable to introspection, as likewise were the nine shillings and eightpence in his pocket. Nine shillings and eightpence and the clothes he stood in! That was what Kirk had to show for thirty-two years of an active and adventurous life. Nine shillings and eightpence! To look at him you certainly would have thought he might have done better. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art techlogy to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.
- Author(s)Professor Lloyd Osbourne
- PublisherForgotten Books
- Date of Publication26/11/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintForgotten Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight558 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.