All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLa Queste del Saint Graal is one of the best-kwn and most important of the medieval Grail Romances, being the first text to portray the character of Galahad the perfect knight, and the earliest extant version of the tale to attempt to fuse the dual tradition associated with the Grail: pseudo-Celtic and Christian. However, it is often considered a difficult text, containing passages of dense metaphor and a seemingly disjointed plot. This study explains the link between metaphor and structure within the text, by means of detailed analysis of certain key sections of the narrative, showing how the author has carefully constructed a hierarchy of characters. What also emerges is that the author places the reader in a position analogous to that of the questing knights, struggling to understand the adventures with which they are presented, and able to do so insofar as they have grasped the symbolic significance of earlier events in the story. The literary technique of structuring a text by means of metaphor is employed t only in La Queste del Saint Graal, but is characteristic of much medieval narrative: thus this analysis has implications for the interpretation of other examples of the genre.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Educated at the Universities of Adelaide and Oxford, Andrea Williams has been a lecturer in the French Department at Exeter University since 1992, specialising in Medieval Literature and the re-working of medieval themes in the contemporary French novel. She has published articles on La Queste del Saint Graal in French Studies and Reading Medieval Studies, and is currently working on the Perlesvaus, as well as the translation of Arthurian Romances from Old French into English.
- Author(s)Andrea M. L. Williams
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication30/04/2001
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Notetables
- Weight300 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.