All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis extraordinary new translation of Vergil's Aeneid stands alone among modern translations for its accuracy and poetic appeal. Sarah Ruden, a lyric poet in her own right, renders the classic poem in the same number of lines as the original work-a very rare feat that maintains technical fidelity to the original without diminishing its emotional power. Ruden's translation follows Vergil's content faithfully, and the ecomy and fast pace she achieves are true to his own unflagging narrative force. With its central theme of national destiny versus. the destiny of individuals, the poem has great resonance in our own times, and Ruden adheres closely to the poet's message. Her rendering of Vergil's words gives immediacy to his struggling faith that history has beauty and purpose in spite of its pain. With this distinguished translation, modern readers can experience for themselves the timeless power of Vergil's masterpiece.
- Author BiographySarah Ruden's previous translations include Aristophanes' Lysistrata and Petronius' Satyricon. She is a visiting scholar at Yale Divinity School.
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication12/05/2009
- LanguageEnglish & English
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Weight318 g
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Translated bySarah Ruden
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.