Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.81Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
- AU $23.93Trending at AU $24.87
About this product
- DescriptionThe dark, seemingly glitzy world of an American traveling circus is the setting for Richard Schmitt's brilliant debut vel The Aerialist.On the edge of Venice, Florida, lie the winterquarters -- a circus in repose. One day Gary -- who hasn't cared much what sort of job he's had -- finds himself signing on as a circus hand. Everyone has seen or heard of the wirewalker, the trapeze artist, and the clown, but there are others: The twenty-four-hour man who arrives in a town first to post arrows that point the way to the lot; the bullhands who remove the elephants' excrement out from under their tumultuous bodies; the butchers who distract the audience from the wonders on stage so that they might purchase a cotton candy or a plastic ray-gun. Gary becomes instantly familiar with this new life -- a life for which he has abandoned everything and thing at all.In story-like chapters, Richard Schmitt describes a hapless, magical existence in an American voice as starkly resonant as that of Richard Ford -- and through his description of Gary's inevitable progression from circus hand to wire-walker, the circus emerges as a symbol of human aspiration.
- Author(s)Richard Schmitt
- PublisherOverlook Press
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOverlook Press
- Weight544 g
- Width162 mm
- Height237 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.