All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is the future of liberation thought in the Americas? In this groundbreaking work, Christopher D. Tirres takes up this question by looking at the methodological connections between two quintessentially American traditions: liberation theology and pragmatism. He explains how pragmatism lends philosophical clarity and depth to some of liberation theology's core ideas and assumptions. Liberation theology in turn offers pragmatism a more nuanced and sympathetic approach to religious faith, especially its social and pedagogical dimensions. Ultimately, Tirres crafts a philosophical foundation that ensures the continued relevance of liberation thought in today's world. Keeping true to the method of pragmatism, The Aesthetics and Ethics of Faith begins inductively with a set of actual experiences: the Good Friday liturgies at the San Fernando Cathedral in San Antonio, Texas. The book provides a compelling description of the way these performative rituals integrate the aesthetic and ethical dimensions of faith. Subsequent chapters probe this integration deductively at three levels of theoretical analysis: experience/metaphysics, sociality, and pedagogy. As Tirres shows, the aesthetic and ethical dimensions of faith emerge in different yet related ways at all three levels. Tirres argues that utilizing the categories of the aesthetic and ethical enables a richer understanding of the dynamic relationship between faith and politics. This book builds new bridges between a number of discourses and key figures, and will appeal to students and scholars who are interested in the liberatory potential of engaged faith praxis, especially when it is expressed in the form of religious ritual.
- Author BiographyChristopher D. Tirres is an Assistant Professor of Religious Studies at DePaul University. A native of El Paso, TX, he is a member of the American Academy of Religion; the Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy; the Society for Ethnicity, Race, and Religion; and the Academy of Catholic Hispanic Theologians of the United States. Tirres holds degrees from Princeton University, Harvard Divinity School, and Harvard University.
- Author(s)Christopher D. Tirres
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication06/03/2014
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Series TitleAAR Reflection and Theory in the Study of Religion Series
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note10 illus.
- Weight448 g
- Width162 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $21.31New
- AU $24.97New
- AU $20.06New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.93New
- AU $11.61Used
- AU $20.04New
- AU $32.19New
- AU $21.90New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $22.97Trending at AU $28.00
- AU $16.56Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $21.50Trending at AU $23.92
- AU $78.42Trending at AU $90.91
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.56
- AU $21.41Trending at AU $22.76
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $43.73
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.