All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionThis invative book examines the aesthetic event of education. Extending beyond the pedagogy of art or art appreciation, Tyson E. Lewis takes a much broader view of aesthetics and argues that teaching and learning are themselves aesthetic performances. As Jacques Ranciere has recently argued, there is an inherent connection between aesthetics and politics, both of which disrupt conventional distributions of who can speak and think. Here, Lewis extends Ranciere's general thesis to examine how there is t only an aesthetics of politics but also an aesthetics of education. In particular, Lewis' analysis focuses on several questions: What are the possibilities and limitations of building analogies between teachers and artists, education and specific aesthetic forms? What is the relationship between democracy and aesthetic sensibilities? Lewis examines these questions by juxtaposing Ranciere's work on universal teaching, democracy, and aesthetics with Paulo Freire's work on critical pedagogy, freedom, and literacy. The result is an extension and problematization of Ranciere's project as well as a new appreciation for the largely igred aesthetic dimension of Freire's pedagogy of the oppressed.
- Author BiographyTyson E. Lewis is Assistant Professor of Educational Foundations at Montclair State University, USA.
- Author(s)Tyson E. Lewis
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication08/05/2014
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight292 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.