The Age of Louis XIV: A History of European Civilization in the Period of Pascal, Moliere, Cromwell, Milton, Peter the Great, Newton, and Spinoza, 1648 1715 by Will Durant, Ariel Durant (CD-Audio, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $183.54Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $349.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Age of Louis XIV is the biography of a period (1648 1715) that Spengler considered the apex of modern European civilization. Some centuries hence, Frederick the Great correctly predicted to Voltaire, they will translate the good authors of the age of Pericles and Augustus. Those authors are lovingly treated here: Pascal, Racine, and Boileau, Madame de Sevigne, Madame de la Fayette, and above all the philosopher-dramatist Moliere, who so memorably exposed the vices and hypocrisies of the age.Central to the book is the Sun King himself, Louis XIV. Louis XIV ruled France for over seventy years, longer than almost any European ruler in history. He is the subject of a character study that runs through seven chapters, revealing the flesh and blood beneath the purple and the crown. He is seen at his worst in his struggle with Jansenists and Huguets, at his best in his patronage of literature and art, and at his most human in his love affairs with Henrietta Anne of Orleans, Louise de La Valliere, Madame de Montespan, and Madame de Mainten.From France the narrative passes to the Netherlands, and after pausing to examine the domestic idylls of Vermeer, shows the Dutch opening their dikes to save their land from Louis XIV and sending William of Orange to become king of England and a leader of the European alliance against Louis hegemony. In England we contemplate the heyday of virtue under the Puritans and study the strange character of Cromwell. We see Milton s passionate career as part of the vain effort to prevent the Stuart Restoration. We find Charles II, the Merry Monarch, with more manners than morals, attend boisterous Restoration plays; we skim the diaries of Evelyn and Pepys; and we follow Jonathan Swift from genius to insanity.Crossing the North Sea we trace the tragic heroism of Charles XII of Sweden and the attempt of Peter the Great to lead Russia from barbarism to civilization. We accompany the ble Sobieski of Poland as he rescues Vienna from the Turks. We visit Italy and Spain. We see the Jews proscribed and impoverished in Europe but rising to riches in Amsterdam and following Sabbatai Zevi in a desperate hope of regaining Palestine and freedom.All this forms the background for the intellectual adventure of the European mind in its passage from superstition, mythology, and intolerance to education, science, and philosophy, for this was the age when Newton and Leibniz gave simultaneous birth to calculus, when Newton bound the planets and the stars with a chain of universal gravitation. Toward the end of the volume the authors revert to their favorite subject, philosophy, and devote a full chapter, with love and care, to Spiza. The book ends with the sunset of Le Roi Soleil: Louis punished for his aggressions by a swarm of enemies gathering around him; fighting till his people are destitute and disillusioned, till his treasury and his heart are empty; dying defeated and repentant, begging his grandson and successor t to imitate his taste for splendor and war; and followed in his funeral by the insults of the crowd.
- Author(s)Ariel Durant,Will Durant
- PublisherBlackstone Audiobooks
- Date of Publication15/03/2015
- SubjectAncient History
- Series TitleStory of Civilization (Audio)
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBlackstone Audiobooks
- Read byStefan Rudnicki
- Contained items statement29 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time2188
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $93.78Trending at AU $97.35
- AU $20.36Trending at AU $34.89
- AU $58.79Trending at AU $64.96
- AU $39.98Trending at AU $40.96
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $36.56
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.24
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $45.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.