All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionThe Akeing Heart is the story of the friendships, shared interests, loves, and jealousies among three intelligent, literary women, set in the evocative landscape of rural Dorset in the fraught years of the 1930s with bitter European politics, civil war in Spain and a looming European war. The women's own voices tell the story using newly available journals, tes and letters. There are more than 80 illustrations.
The women are:
Sylvia Townsend Warner (1893-1978), velist, essayist, short story writer.
Valentine Ackland (1906-1969), poet
Elizabeth Wade White (1906-1994), biographer of Anne Bradstreet.
This book sheds light on a fascinating triangular relationship between three strong, intellectual women. Even if you are unfamiliar with their names, you cant fail to be absorbed in the fascinating human story, told in the protagonists' own words with judicious selection from their letters and diaries. The characters come to life as we read how their relationship develops and how each is affected by the events described. All this takes place against the backdrop of major world events of the 1930s, especially the Spanish Civil War. An important document for anyone interested in women, human relationships, history, and people.
Judith Bond, Sylvia Townsend Warner Society
- Author(s)Peter Haring Judd
- Date of Publication30/04/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight553 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound