The All-American Muscle Car: The Birth, Death and Resurrection of Detroit's Greatest Performance Cars by Jim Wangers, Colin Comer, Randy Leffingwell, Joe Oldham (Hardback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $46.05Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- Est. delivery by 12 Feb
- AU $49.24+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe birth of the muscle car, mid-sized cars with big engines and big horsepower, marked t only a revolution in performance-but also a revolution in marketing. For the first time ever, American car manufacturers tailored their product to a youth audience. The genre thrived in the 60s and early 70s and was reborn in the 21st century. The All-American Muscle Car celebrates the fifty-year history of the breed through stunning modern and archival photography, and brilliant essays from today's top muscle-car writers. Organized by themes, its chapters cover the introduction and early years of muscle; the cultural trends that made muscle cars so wildly popular; the pop culture that surrounded the cars in music, film, and television; and racing, both legal and illegal. Great rivalries are detailed-Camaro versus Mustang versus Firebird versus Challenger versus 'Cuda, GTO versus Road Runner versus Super Bee versus Chevelle SS versus Buick Gran Sport versus Oldsmobile 4-4-2, and the like. The book also explores the illogical extremes at the end of the classic era, the Plymouth Superbirds, GTOJudges, LS6 Chevelles, Hemi 'Cudas, W-30 Oldsmobiles, Ram Air IV Pontiacs, Stage I GSX Buicks, and 440/6 Road Runners; the dark years and the death of performance; the rebirth of the muscle car; and the modern interpretations of the breed including the new Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger.
- Author BiographyDarwin Holmstrom (Maple Grove, MN) has written or co-written many books on muscle cars, including the best-selling Camaro: Five Generations of Speed, GTO: Pontiac's Great One, Hemi Muscle Cars, Camaro: Forty Years, and Muscle: America's Legendary Performance Cars. David Newhardt (Pasadena, CA) is one of the best automobile photographers working today. He is the author of such best-selling books as American Muscle Supercars: Ultimate Street Performance from Shelby, Mr. Norm and Other Legendary Tuners, Art of the Muscle Car, and Firebird Trans Am. He has also provided photography for GTO: Pontiac's Great One, Camaro: Five Generations of Performance, Muscle: America's Legendary Performance Cars, Shelby Mustang: Racer for the Street, and many more. www.davidnewhardt.com Colin Comer, respected collector-car authority, regularly appears in such diverse publications as Sports Car Market, the New York Times, and USA Today. Comer is the author of the bestselling Shelby Cobra Fifty Years. www.colincomer.com Randy Leffingwell, bestselling MBI author and photographer, has earned a reputation as one of the best automotive historians working today. He has written and photographed over two dozen books on transportation topics. www.randyleffingwell.com Joe Oldham began his journalism career in 1964 as a writer/editor for Magnum-Royal Publications, where he road-tested muscle cars for Hi-Performance Cars, Speed & Supercar, and Supercars Annual until 1976. He spent the next 32 years at The Hearst Corporation, the last 19 as editor-in-chief of Popular Mechanics. Jim Wangers, the legendary Pontiac ad man, created the mystique that surrounds America's original muscle car, the Pontiac GTO. Wangers conceived many of the best-known marketing programs of the muscle-car era. The author of Glory Days, the 84-years-young Wangers lives in Oceanside, California.
- Author(s)Colin Comer,Jim Wangers,Joe Oldham,Randy Leffingwell
- PublisherMotorbooks International
- Date of Publication15/05/2013
- SubjectRoad & Motor Vehicles: General Interest
- Place of PublicationWisconsin
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMotorbooks International
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1334 g
- Width251 mm
- Height286 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byDarwin Holmstrom
- Photographer(s)David Newhardt
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.