All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.23
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.78
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.22
- AU $66.30Trending at AU $74.69
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.87
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.23
About this product
- Description2013 sees the 150th anniversary of the Alpine Journal, the oldest mountaineering journal in the world. It was created as a record of mountain exploration and has held to that tradition down the years. This 117th volume showcases first ascents from Alaska to Antarctica, from the Alps and Africa to the great ranges of Asia. Alpine Club president Mick Fowler describes his first ascent of the dramatic Prow of Shiva in the Indian Himalaya while Rick Allen recounts how he and Sandy Allan scooped one of mountaineering's most coveted prizes with the first full traverse of Nanga Parbat's awesome Maze Ridge. The AJ's brief roams wide. Mountain landscapes sacred to Tibetans are decoded by the anthropologist Hildegard Diemberger, and Professor Mike Searle explains the geological processes that give the Himalaya their physical majesty. This AJ also celebrates the 60th anniversary of the first ascent of Everest; buoyed by his 11th ascent to the top of the world, guide Kenton Cool reflects on the mountain's continuing allure. New paintings by the artist-climber Julian Cooper, especially commissioned to mark the AJ's 150th birthday, book reviews and a comprehensive Area Notes section detailing significant climbs around the world complete this unrivalled parama of the mountain world.
- Author BiographyEditor of the AJ since 2004, Stephen Goodwin is a journalist, climber and guidebook author. He went freelance in 1999 after 13 years as a staff correspondent on The Independent, mainly covering politics at Westminster. In 1998 he reached the south summit of Everest, filing an award-winning diary to The Independent. His guidebook, 20 Day Walks in the Lake District, was published in 2009 by Vertebrate Publishing.
- PublisherThe Alpine Journal
- Date of Publication28/09/2013
- SubjectFishing, Field Sports & Outdoor Activities
- Place of PublicationPenrith
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe Alpine Journal
- Content Notemore than 250 illustrations, maps and paintings
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Edited byStephen Goodwin
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.