All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.76Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionThe prestigious Alpine Journal is the oldest mountaineering journal in the world. This 116th volume features some of the boldest exploratory alpinism of the last year or so. An international cast including Mick Fowler, Pat Deavoll (NZ), Freddie Wilkinson (US), Bruce Normand (Scotland) describe first ascents in Nepal, Afghanistan, India and China, while Italian Simone Moro reflects on the ordeal of making the first ascent of a Karakoram 8000er in winter. To mark the London Olympics there is a thoughtful essay by Phil Bartlett on 'Is Mountaineering Sport?', and also a long-overdue French admission that Bonington and Whillans were indeed the first to the top of the Central Pillar of Freney on Mont Blanc. The above are only a selection of what is to be found in this richly illustrated volume. Details of new routes around the world in an authoritative Area Notes section, scientific research on glaciers and on carbon moxide poisoning from camp stoves, paintings in watercolour and oil, and lively book reviews all contribute to the variety of this latest Alpine Journal.
- Author BiographyEditor of the AJ since 2004, Stephen Goodwin is a journalist, climber and guidebook author. He went freelance in 1999 after 13 years as a staff correspondent on The Independent, mainly covering politics at Westminster. In 1998 he reached the south summit of Everest, filing an award-winning diary to The Independent. His guidebook, 20 Day Walks in the Lake District, was published in 2009 by Vertebrate Graphics.
- PublisherThe Alpine Journal
- Date of Publication25/09/2012
- SubjectFishing, Field Sports & Outdoor Activities
- Series TitleAlpine Journal
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 360, v. 116
- Place of PublicationPenrith
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe Alpine Journal
- Content Note250 illustrations, maps and paintings
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Edited byStephen Goodwin
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.