All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDriven by a sense of duty and a fear of motony, Sara Lee leaves her comfortable life and fiance in Philadelphia to serve the Red Cross in Belgium during World War I. The spirited heroine finds a niche for herself helping wounded soldiers. Then she meets a mysterious gentleman and falls into a haunting romance.The Amazing Interlude is a bittersweet journey that draws from author Mary Rinehart's own experience as a World War I correspondent. Fusing fiction with fact, she deftly portrays an exhilarating tale of an horable woman's determination to make a difference in a time of tumultuous war.
- Author BiographyIn her prime, American novelist and playwright Mary Roberts Rinehart was more famous than Agatha Christie. Originator of the phrase The butler did it, she is best known for her mystery stories-including The Circular Staircase, The Man in Lower Ten, and Tish-which combine murder, love, ingenuity, and humor in a style that is uniquely her own. Several of her suspense novels were turned into Broadway successes, including The Bat (which was derived from The Circular Staircase).Mary Roberts was born in Allegheny Pittsburgh in 1876. In 1896 Mary graduated from the Pittsburgh Training School for Nurses, married physician Stanley Rinehart, and started a family. Financial losses drove Mary to take up a writing career in 1903. Childhood memories such as the nearby state penitentiary, the one-armed policeman, and a mute neighbor inspired her novels. Five years later, her first novel, The Circular Staircase, became an instant success.In addition to her novels, the public grew to know Mary through the magazine serials and essays that she wrote for the Saturday Evening Post. During World War I, Mary served as a war correspondent and was one of the few that were allowed to report directly from the trenches. At the time of her death in 1958, her books had sold more than 10 million copies. In addition to narrating audiobooks, Shelly Frasier has appeared in many independent film and theater projects in Arizona and southern California and has developed character voices for animation projects and voiceover work for commercials. She trained at the Groundlings Improv School in Hollywood and South Coast Reperatory's Professional Conservatory in Costa Mesa, California. She has performed at theaters throughout North Hollywood and Orange County. Recent performances include Blue Window, The Battle of Bull Run Always Makes Me Cry, The Haunting of Hill House, and a British farcical version of A Christmas Carol. She resides in Hollywood.
- Author(s)Mary Roberts Rinehart
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication17/08/2009
- SubjectRomance & Sagas
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Weight79 g
- Width163 mm
- Height137 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Narrator(s)Shelly Frasier
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time420
- Edition StatementUnabridged
Best-selling in Audio Books
- AU $46.16New
- AU $18.16New
- AU $31.48New
Save on Audio Books
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $33.84
- AU $21.08Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $47.23Trending at AU $51.05
- AU $18.49Trending at AU $20.18
- AU $27.36Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $27.76Trending at AU $50.64
- AU $31.76Trending at AU $36.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.