All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThrough the perspectives of selected vels from the end of World War II to the end of the 20th century--including The Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Godfather, Jaws, Beloved, The Silence of the Lambs, and Jurassic Park --this book examines crucial issues for Americans during those decades. These vels represent the voices of popular conversations, as Americans considered issues of family, class, racism and sexism, feminism, ecomic ambition, sexual violence, war, law, religion and science. Through the windows of fiction, the book surveys the Cold War and anti-communism, the prefeminist era of the 1950s and the sexual revolution of the 1970s, forms of corporate power in the 1960s and 1980s, the traumatic legacies of slavery and Vietnam, the fascination with lawyers, cops and criminals, alternate styles of romance in the era of late capitalism, the abiding distrust of science, and the steadfast wonder about the Great Mysteries.
- Author BiographyDavid Willbern is professor emeritus of English at SUNY Buffalo, USA where he served as director of the Center for the Study of Psychoanalysis and Culture. He lives in Placitas, New Mexico. USA.
- Author(s)David Willbern
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/04/2013
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Weight476 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.