All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe American State Normal School is the first comprehensive history of the state rmal schools in the United States. Although nearly two-hundred state colleges and regional universities throughout the U.S. began as 'rmal' schools, the institutions themselves have buried their history, and scholars have largely overlooked them. As these institutions later became state colleges and/or regional universities, they distanced themselves from the low status of elementary-literally erasing physical evidence of their rmal-school past. In doing so, they buried the rich history of generations of students for whom attending rmal school was an enriching, and sometimes life-changing experience. Focusing on these students, the first wave of 'n-traditional' students in higher education, The American State Normal School is a much-needed re-examination of the state rmal school.This book was subject of an annual History of Education Society panel for best new books in the field.
- Author BiographyCHRISTINE A. OGREN is an Assistant Professor in the College of Education at the University of Iowa, USA. She was a National Academy of Education/Spencer Foundation postdoctoral Fellow, and has contributed essays to prestigious publications such as the Macmillan Encyclopedia of Education, Encyclopedia of the Midwest, Journal of Higher Education, and History of Education Quarterly.
- Author(s)Christine A. Ogren
- PublisherPalgrave USA
- Date of Publication16/05/2005
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationGordonsville
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight615 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.15Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.