All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWe are in the midst of a digital revolution - until recently, the majority of appliances used in everyday life have been developed with analogue techlogy. Now, either at home or out and about, we are surrounded by digital techlogy such as digital film, audio systems, computers and telephones. From the late 1940s until the 1970s, analogue techlogy was a genuine alternative to digital, and the two competing techlogies ran parallel with each other. During this period, a community of engineers, scientists, academics and businessmen continued to develop and promote the analogue computer. At the height of the Cold War, this community and its techlogy met with considerable success in meeting the urgent demand for high speed computing for use in the design and simulation of rockets, aircraft and manned space vehicles. The Analogue Alternative tracks the development, commercialisation and ultimate decline of the electronic analogue computer in the USA and Britain. It examines the roles played by technical, ecomic and cultural factors in the competition between the alternative techlogies, but more importantly, James Small demonstrates that n-technical factors, such as the role of military enterprise and the working practices of analogue engineers, have been the most crucial in analogue's demise. This book will be of interest to students of the history and sociology of science and techlogy, particularly computing. It will also be relevant to those interested in technical change and invation, and the study of scientific cultures.
- Author BiographyJames S. Small has worked as a researhcer and lecturer at the University of Manchester in England and at the University of Maastricht in the Netherlands.
- Author(s)James S. Small
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication25/10/2013
- SubjectComputing: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in the History of Science, Technology and Medicine
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight535 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.91Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.