Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
About this product
- DescriptionMaritime security covers many issues including disputes over ownership of the continental shelf and of the boundaries of Exclusive Ecomic Zones, as well as protecting citizens from ballistic missile attacks using sea-based platforms and the introduction of n-native marine species to new aquatic habitats. Loss of key habitats and species may harm tourism and the wider ecomy while illegal fishing and smuggling often degrade the maritime environment. Nor should we forget that the sea is a favoured means of transit for trans-national terrorist and criminal groups, and smuggling of drugs, people and weapons remains a perennial concern for governments and their agencies trying to police the seas. Even today, however, the threat of conventional naval warfare has t receded entirely: rivalries over the ownership of the continental shelf, in areas such as the Spratley and Paracel Islands and the Lomosov Ridge, could well be the harbinger of future conflict. Securing access to an ever-dwindling source of oil and gas may also threaten conflict on a worldwide basis as navies confront each other to secure ecomically vital sea lanes of communications in a time when energy security concerns are high on political the political agenda. Sloggett's book deals with this fascinating range of issues in a comprehensive manner also provides a blueprint for the development of maritime security, an integrated solution based around creating accurate and timely maritime domain awareness and sharing this with both military and commercial users of the sea.
- Author BiographyDave Sloggett is a Senior Associate Analyst working with Dryad Maritime Intelligence Service with nearly 40 years of experience in the field of intelligence and international security. He holds visiting research posts at the Centre for Defence Studies at Kings College London, York University and the United Kingdom Defence Academy and is a visiting lecturer to the NATO School in Oberammergau.
- Author(s)Dave Sloggett
- PublisherC Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication18/10/2013
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintC Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white tables
- Weight635 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.