All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn February 1981, just as Spain was finally leaving Franco's dictatorship and during the first democratic vote in parliament for a new prime minister - Colonel Tejero and a band of right-wing soldiers burst into the Spanish parliament and began firing shots. Only three members of Congress defied the incursion and did t dive for cover,: Adolfo Suarez the then outgoing prime minister, who had steered the country away from the Franco era, Guttierez Mellado, a conservative general who had loyally served democracy, and Santiago Carillo, the head of the Communist Party, which had just been legalised. In The Anatomy of a Moment, Cercas examines a key moment in Spanish history, just as he did so successfully in his Spanish Civil War vel, Soldiers of Salamis. This is the only coup ever to have been caught on film as it was happening, which, as Cercas says, 'guaranteed both its reality and its unreality'. Every February a few seconds of the video are shown again and Spaniards congratulate themselves for standing up for democracy, but Cercas says that things were very quiet that afteron and evening while all over Spain people stayed inside waiting for the coup to be defeated ...or to triumph.
- Author BiographyJavier Cercas is the author of Soldiers of Salamis, The Tenant & The Motive and The Speed of Light. He has taught at the University of Illinois and for many years was a lecturer in Spanish literature at the University of Gerona. He lives in Barcelona with his wife and son. Anne McLean is the translator of works by Carmen Mart n Gaite, Julio Cort zar, Ignacio Mart nez de Pis n and Tom s Eloy Mart nez. She has twice won the Independent Prize for Foreign Fiction: for Soldiers of Salamis by Javier Cercas in 2004 (which also won her the Valle Incl n Award), and for The Armies by Evelio Rosero in 2009.
- Author(s)Javier Cercas
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication05/01/2012
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Weight285 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.41
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
- AU $23.93Trending at AU $24.87
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.