All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Ancient Central Andes presents a general overview of the prehistoric peoples and cultures of the Central Andes, the region w encompassing most of Peru and significant parts of Ecuador, Bolivia, rthern Chile, and rthwestern Argentina. The book contextualizes past and modern scholarship and provides a balanced view of current research. Two opening chapters present the intellectual, political, and practical background and history of research in the Central Andes and the spatial, temporal, and formal dimensions of the study of its past. Chapters then proceed in chrological order from remote antiquity to the Spanish Conquest. A number of important themes run through the book, including: the tension between those scholars who wish to study Peruvian antiquity on a comparative basis and those who take historicist approaches; the concept of Lo Andi, commonly used by many specialists that assumes long-term, unchanging patterns of culture some of which are claimed to persist to the present; and culture change related to severe environmental events. Consensus opinions on interpretations are highlighted as are disputes among scholars regarding interpretations of the past. The Ancient Central Andes provides an up-to-date, objective survey of the archaeology of the Central Andes that is much needed. Students and interested readers will benefit greatly from this introduction to a key period in South America's past.
- Author BiographyJeffrey Quilter is the William and Muriel Seabury Howells Director of the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology at Harvard University, USA. He previously served as Director of the Pre-Columbian Studies Program and Curator of the Pre-Columbian Collection at Dumbarton Oaks, Washington DC and as a professor of Anthropology at Ripon College, Wisconsin. He has been involved in archaeological research particularly in Peru and Costa Rica. He has published numerous articles and books including Life and Death at Paloma (1989), Cobble Circles and Standing Stones (2004), Treasures of the Andes (2005), and The Moche of Ancient Peru (2011).
- Author(s)Jeffrey Quilter
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication16/12/2013
- Series TitleRoutledge World Archaeology
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight771 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.75
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.35Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.