The Animals Reader: The Essential Classic and Contemporary Writings by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (Paperback, 2007)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $61.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe study of animals - and the relationship between humans and other animals - is w one of the most fiercely debated topics in contemporary science and culture. Animals have a long history in human society, providing food, labour, sport and companionship as well as becoming objects for exhibit. More contemporary uses extend to animals as therapy and in scientific testing. As natural habitats continue to be destroyed, the rights of animals to co-exist on the planet - and their symbolic power as a connection between humans and the natural world - are ever more hotly contested. The Animals Reader brings together the key classic and contemporary writings from Philosophy, Ethics, Sociology, Cultural Studies, Anthropology, Environmental Studies, History, Law and Science. As the first book of its kind, The Animals Reader provides a framework for understanding the current state of the multidisciplinary field of animal studies. This anthology will be invaluable for students across the Humanities and Social Sciences as well as for general readers.
- Author BiographyLinda Kalof is Professor in the Dept. of Sociology at Michigan State University. She is author of Looking at Animals in Human History and co-editor of The Earthscan Reader in Environmental Values and the forthcoming major multi-volume works, A Cultural History of Animals and A Cultural History of the Human Body. Amy J. Fitzgerald is on the faculty in the Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology at the University of Windsor, Ontario, Canada, and author of Animal Abuse and Family Violence.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/02/2007
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerg Publishers
- Content Note10 b&w illustrations, bibliography, index
- Weight776 g
- Width189 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byAmy J Fitzgerald,Linda Kalof
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.