All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA new take on Holmes' classic study of law and judicial development of rules. The life of the law has t been logic: it has been experience. Antated throughout with simple clarifications-decoding and demystifying it for the first time-to make it accessible to a new generation of readers. Features new Foreword and extensive tes by Steven Alan Childress, J.D., Ph.D., law professor at Tulane. Includes correct footte numbers and original page numbers for citing. Contains rare photographs and insightful biographical section as well. As lamented by Holmes' premier biographer in 2006, The Common Law is very likely the best-kwn book ever written about American law. But it is a difficult, sometimes obscure book, which today's lawyers and law students find largely inaccessible. No longer. With insertions and simple definitions of the original's language and concepts, this version makes it live for college students (able to get it, at last, with legal terms explained), plus law students, lawyers, and anyone wanting to understand his great book. No previous edition has offered antations. Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. compiled his master work in 1881 from lectures on the origins, reasoning, and import of the common law. It jump-started Legal Realism and established law as a pragmatic way to solve problems and make policy, t just a bucket of rules. It has stood the test of time as one of the most important and influential studies of law. This book is interesting for a vast audience-including historians, students, and political scientists. It is also an often-recommended read before law school or in the 1L year. High quality edition from Quid Pro's Legal Legends Series. Paperback edition w in its second printing. Also available in hardcover and ebook formats.
- Author BiographyHolmes (1841-1935) was a legendary Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. Before that, he was an influential legal scholar who brought pragmatism to a new age of legal thought.
- Author(s)Oliver Wendell Holmes
- PublisherQuid Pro, LLC
- Date of Publication05/07/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintQuid Pro, LLC
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight513 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Introduction byJr.
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
- Edition Statementannotated edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $86.95New
- AU $40.99Used
- AU $112.52New
- AU $97.37Used
- AU $33.12New
- AU $30.22New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $30.69New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.84
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $61.00Trending at AU $62.81
- AU $49.19Trending at AU $52.50
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.11
- AU $44.94Trending at AU $46.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.