All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe modern enterprise of anthropology, with all of its important implications for cross-cultural perceptions, perspectives, and self-consciousness emerged from the eighteenth-century intellectual context of the Enlightenment. If the Renaissance discovered perspective in art, it was the Enlightenment that articulated and explored the problem of perspective in viewing history, culture, and society. If the Renaissance was the age of oceanic discovery-most dramatically the discovery of the New World of America-the critical reflections of the Enlightenment brought about an intellectual rediscovery of the New World and thus laid the foundations for modern anthropology. The contributions that constitute this book present the multiple anthropological facets of the Enlightenment, and suggest that the character of its intellectual engagements-ackwledging global diversity, interpreting human societies, and bridging cultural difference-must be understood as a whole to be fundamentally anthropological.
- Author BiographyLarry Wolff is Professor of History at New York University. His books include Inventing Eastern Europe: The Map of Civilization on the Mind of the Enlightenment (Stanford, 1994), and Venice and the Slavs: The Discovery of Dalmatia in the Age of Enlightenment (Stanford, 2001). Marco Cipolloni is Professor and Chair of Spanish Language and Culture at the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia. His works include Il sovrano e la corte nelle cartas della Conquista(1991), Tra memoria apostolica e racconto profetico: Il compromesso etnografico francescano e le cosas della Nuova Spagna, (1994), and the critical edition of the Teatro completo of Miguel Angel Asturias (2003).
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication04/09/2007
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Weight594 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byLarry Wolff,Marco Cipolloni
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.