All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLong out of print in English, this dizzyinghybridofvel, essay, and polemichas less to do with religion than with what Roth sees as the disintegrating moral fabric of the modern worldWritten while Roth was in exile from Germany and his native Austria following the rise of Nazism, this work wascomposed in cafes across free Europe after all his works in German went up in flames. Such events doubt influence the apocalytic tones of The Antichrist's protaganist, J.R., a journalist hired by an inscrutable media mogul hellbent on exposing evidence of the Antichrist throughout the world. This mission leads J.R. to authoritarian political regimes such as Red Earth (the Soviet Union) but also other poisous terrains like The Land of Shadows (Hollywood)it becomes all too clear that it is Roth's mission to chart the whole of civilization's slide into moral and political chaos. But herein lies the extraordinary strength and appeal of this work, as Roth is powerfully and even hilariously prescient. Mixing the diatribe with his trademark sardonic wit, he miraculously predicts the advent of the Holocaust, globalization, multimediaeven the paparazzi. Combining beautiful but savage writing with visual imageryout ofa Coen Brothers movie, thisis an invaluable addition to the Rothcan in English.
- Author BiographyJoseph Roth (18941939) was an Austrian novelist best known for his family saga Radetzky March and for his novel of Jewish life, Job. He fought in the Austrian army in World War I, and worked as a novelist and journalist in Frankfurt, becoming a leading Jewish intellectual of the era. With the rise of Nazism, he lived the rest of his life in exile. Richard Panchyk is an author, editor, and translator. His titles include Archeology for Kids and World War II for Kids.
- Author(s)Joseph Roth
- PublisherPeter Owen Publishers
- Date of Publication01/05/2009
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPeter Owen Publishers
- Weight159 g
- Width180 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.41
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.