Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.41
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
About this product
- DescriptionThe Apartment, the astonishing first vel by Greg Baxter, is a tale of war and peace, friendship and aloneness. A man walks across an old European capital. Heavy sw falls. He has come here from far away, hoping to forget. Instead, he remembers: home, war, lost friends. Complicity. In the company of a new friend and alive to the new experiences of the city, he moves through the sw and his complicated history in search of an apartment. The Apartment, by the author of the acclaimed memoir A Preparation for Death, is a vel about war, the relationship between America and the rest of the world, and the brittle foundations of Western culture; but above all it is a book about the mysteries and alchemies of friendship - truthful, moving and brilliant. Acclaimed by Hisham Matar, Adam Thorpe and Roddy Doyle, among others, The Apartment is a deeply original and profoundly involving vel. 'Admirable for its scope, ambition and unashamed seriousness of purpose, as well as its willingness to take stylistic and structural risks' Julie Myerson, Observer 'Stunningly good' Susan Jeffreys, Saturday Review, BBC Radio Four 'Baxter's superbly elegant, understated writing explores the dynamics of America's relationship with the rest of the world' The Times 'Lucidly written and astutely observed ...The vel exerts a hyptic force ...Baxter continually undercuts our expectations for his vel. And it is precisely this sort of subversion, along with the author's shimmering prose, that makes The Apartment such a surprisingly compelling read' New York Times 'Absorbing, atmospheric and enigmatic ...Its long, frigid journey into a long, sleepless night explores a man's uneasy relationship with his past, himself and a world in which violence is inescapable' Los Angeles Times 'Powerful ...Baxter's clean and direct prose generates its own momentum' Daily Beast 'A wonderful, horrible, wise vel' Dazed & Confused (Book of the Month) 'A dark and sinewy vel, written with sparse clarity and affecting subtlety' Stuart Evers, Observer (Books of the Year) Greg Baxter was born in Texas in 1974. He lived for a number of years in Dublin, and w lives in Berlin. He is the author of the acclaimed memoir A Preparation for Death. The Apartment is his first vel.
- Author BiographyGreg Baxter was born in Texas in 1974. He lived for a number of years in Dublin, and now lives in Berlin. He is the author of the acclaimed memoir A Preparation for Death. The Apartment is his first novel.
- Author(s)Greg Baxter
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication04/04/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Weight225 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine17 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.