Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $95.18Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $13.00Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by book_fountain
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWritten in a clear and accessible style, the book should appeal to psychology students who want to get an idea of what it is like to work in applied psychology and the skills need to do this. This is especially the case as the book contains highly practical guide to pursuing career opportunities and where to find information on relevant courses. Tom Merrill, Psychology Student, University of Leeds, UK Review of the first edition: ...a nice combination of theory and practice which should be of interest to two main audiences - psychology students trying to get some ideas about their choice of career, and practising psychologists who might like to dip into the book from time to time to broaden their horizons. R. J. Ashton - School Psychology International * What do psychologists do? * What skills do psychologists have? * What contributions can they make to solving people's problems? Are there different kinds of psychologists doing different kinds of jobs or do applied psychologists share a common set of skills to be deployed in different contexts? The fully revised and updated second edition of this highly successful book takes the latter view. It brings a fresh perspective by suggesting that applied psychologists have many similar skills that can be used in different ways in different circumstances. The editors identify seven roles used by most applied psychologists, embracing the psychologist as counsellor, colleague, expert, tool-maker, detached investigator, theoretician and agent for change. In this book fifteen leading applied psychologists describe several aspects of their work in order to emphasise these different roles. Although the content of this book is very varied - covering work-based counselling, cancer treatment, police psychology, text design, driving behaviour, sports psychology, market research, fire-fighter stress, autism, bullying, and work with refugees - the theme is simple: applied psychologists have many similar skills in the roles they play. Students of psychology everywhere will find this book to be an essential point of reference on applied psychology. Its clear and accessible style is enhanced by discussion questions and suggestions for further reading at the end of each chapter. The text also contains a useful and highly practical guide to pursuing career opportunities and where to find information on relevant courses.
- Author BiographyJames Hartley is Research Professor in the Department of Psychology at the University of Keele. He is an expert on the psychology of text design, and on teaching and learning in higher education. His books include Designing Instructional Text 3rd Edition (1994) and Learning and Studying (1998). Alan Branthwaite is Qualitative Research and Development Director at Millward Brown, an international market research company, and part of the WPP group of communication and research companies. He is the winner of three successive Atticus awards given annually by WPP to 'honour original published thinking in marketing services' and is a regular contributor to international conferences. Dr Branthwaite was previously with the Department of Psychology at the University of Keele.
- Author(s)Alan Branthwaite,James Hartley
- PublisherOpen University Press
- Date of Publication01/12/1999
- SubjectPopular Psychology
- Place of PublicationMilton Keynes
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOpen University Press
- Content Noteindex
- Weight1 g
- Width68 mm
- Height95 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.