All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume contains a critical edition and an introduction to the Arabic translation and commentary on the book of Proverbs by one of the most acclaimed, invative, and prolific exegetes of the Karaite Golden Age (10th-11th centuries), Yefet ben 'Eli ha-Levi. Yefet's commentary on Proverbs attests to his rationalistic and revisionist ideology and to his egalitarian approach. His work is an invaluable link in the history of interpretation of the book of Proverbs. This edition is accompanied by an introduction including a thorough study of Yefet's style of writing compared with the Arabic model of his time, his hermeneutic devices contrasted with those of Saadiah Gaon and midrash, his theology in light of the doctrines of Islamic Mu'tazila, and his polemics against various groups.
- Author BiographyIlana Sasson, Ph.D. (2010), The Jewish Theological Seminary, and post-doctoral research fellow at Tel-Aviv University (2012-2014), teaches religion and Hebrew Bible at Sacred Heart University, CT. She has contributed several encyclopedic entries to the Textual History of the Bible (Brill 2015), and to the Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception (forthcoming). She has also published several articles on Karaite hermeneutics, masorah, theology, gender equality, and the concept of the mudawwin in various scholarly journals.
- Author(s)Ilana Sasson
- Date of Publication31/05/2016
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleEtudes sur le Judaisme Medieval
- Series Part/Volume Number67
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Weight947 g
- Width16 mm
- Height24 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $67.92Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $42.49
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.95Trending at AU $53.03
- AU $22.59Trending at AU $27.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.