All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNo examination of contemporary urban communities would be complete without the discussion of class identity. But how did class identity inform the urban communities of yesteryear? Taking Newport, Rhode Island in the eighteenth century and Lowell, Massachusetts in the nineteenth century, at the peak of their ecomic powers when they represented some of the purist forms of capitalist production in North America, as case studies, this book explores the material and biological manifestations of class identity. Stephen Mrozowski uses a combination of documentary research, material cultural studies, and environmental archaeology to probe the lives of artisans, merchants, and mill workers in these urban communities. Taking an interdisciplinary approach to fully examine burgeoning tions of class, he offers significant insights into the factors shaping those tions. This engaging study, supported throughout by tables, illustrations and graphs, is required reading for all students of urban history and historical archaeology.
- Author BiographyStephen A. Mrozowksi is Director of the Fiske Memorial Center for Archeological Research and Professor of Archeology at the University of Massachusetts, Boston. He is the author of numerous articles, and co-editor (with James A. Delle and Robert Paynter) of The Lines that Divide: Historical Archaeologies of Race, Class and Gender (2003). He also serves on the editorial board of The International Journal of Historical Archaeology.
- Author(s)Stephen A. Mrozowski
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication23/03/2006
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleCambridge Studies in Archaeology
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note58 b/w illus. 10 tables
- Weight540 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.