All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionArchaeologists have traditionally considered islands as distinct physical and social entities. In this book, Paul Rainbird discusses the historical construction of this characterization and questions the basis for such an understanding of island archaeology. Through a series of case studies of prehistoric archaeology in the Mediterranean, Pacific, Baltic, and Atlantic seas and oceans, he argues for a decentering of the land in favor of an emphasis on the archaeology of the sea and, ultimately, a new perspective on the making of maritime communities. The archaeology of islands is thus unshackled from approaches that highlight boundedness and isolation, and replaced with a new set of principles - that boundaries are fuzzy, islanders are distinctive in their expectation of contacts with people from over the seas, and that island life can tell us much about maritime communities. Debating islands, thus, brings to the fore issues of identity and community and a concern with Western construction of other peoples.
- Author BiographyPaul Rainbird is Head of Department and Senior Lecturer in Archaeology at the University of Wales, Lampeter. A fellow of the Society of Antiquaries and a Fellow of the Royal Anthropological Institute, he is the author of The Archaeology of Micronesia and serves on the editorial boards of the Journal of Island and Coastal Archaeology and Research in Archaeological Education.
- Author(s)Paul Rainbird
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication09/07/2007
- Series TitleTopics in Contemporary Archaeology
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight398 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.