All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMapping the boundaries between ancient societies through studies of ethnicity, migration, or ecomic systems is of perennial interest to archaeologists, who typically have taken two divergent approaches. North American archaeologists have studies formal variation in the style of finished products, while the French tradition, exploring links between cognition and technical choice, has focused on how variation occurs during the manufacturing process. Fourteen contributors examine an array of media -- from ceramics and personal ornaments to architecture and site structure -- in small-scale societies and apply methods from both sides of the Atlantic to explore how technical choices made in the creation of everyday objects can both reflect and define social boundaries. In chapters on pre-historic and historic societies that range from North America to Africa to Oceania, the authors suggest that variation in technical systems corresponds more closely than stylistic variation does to the boundaries between groups. They also address the question of whether modern concepts of ethnicity can be translated into archaeological terms. The Archaeology of Social Boundaries demonstrates that the search for social boundaries in material culture patterning can benefit from the study of both techlogical and stylistic qualities. By uniting two disparate intellectual traditions, this book contributes to a growing archaeological theory of material culture.
- Author BiographyMiriam T. Stark is an assistant professor in the department of anthropology at the University of Hawai'i.
- PublisherSmithsonian Institution Scholarly Press
- Date of Publication26/05/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSmithsonian Institution Scholarly Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight522 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byMiriam T Stark
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.37Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.