Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionThis richly illustrated, four-colour textbook introduces the art and archaeology of ancient Greece, from the Bronze Age through the Roman conquest. Suitable for students with prior kwledge of ancient art, this textbook reviews the main objects and monuments of the ancient Greek world, emphasizing the context and function of these artefacts in their particular place and time. Students are led to a rich understanding of how objects were meant to be perceived, what 'messages' they transmitted, and how the surrounding environment shaped their meaning. The book includes more than five hundred illustrations (with over four hundred in colour), including specially commissioned photographs, maps, floorplans and reconstructions. Judith Barringer examines a variety of media, including marble and bronze sculpture, public and domestic architecture, painted vases, coins, mosaics, terracotta figurines, reliefs, jewellery and wall paintings. Numerous text boxes, chapter summaries and timelines, complemented by a detailed glossary, support student learning.
- Author BiographyJudith M. Barringer is Professor of Greek Art and Archaeology in Classics at the University of Edinburgh. Her areas of specialization are Greek art and archaeology and Greek history, myth, and religion. Professor Barringer is the author of Art, Myth, and Ritual in Classical Greece (Cambridge University Press, 2008); The Hunt in Ancient Greece (2001); and Divine Escorts: Nereids in Archaic and Classical Greek Art (1995) and co-editor (with Jeffrey M. Hurwit) of Periklean Athens and Its Legacy: Problems and Perspectives (2005). She has been awarded grants from the National Endowment for the Humanities at the American School of Classical Studies in Athens and the British Academy, among others. She was a Blegen Research Fellow at Vassar College and a Senior Fellow at the Internationales Forschungszentrum Kulturwissenschaften in Vienna, and she currently holds a Marie Curie Fellowship at the Institut fur Klassische Archaologie at the Freie Universitat Berlin from the M4Human Programme of the Gerda Henkel Stiftung.
- Author(s)Judith M. Barringer
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication09/02/2015
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Out-of-print date09/08/2016
- Content Note84 b/w illus. 400 colour illus. 9 maps 1 table
- Weight1870 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine26 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.