All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis title offer an illustrated account of classical Greek buildings, sculptures and paintings, that are shown in 200 glorious photographs and drawings. It includes an authoritative exploration of ancient Greek civilization, architecture and style, sculpture, painting and mosaics. It provides a spectacular visual study of iconic Greek buildings and temples, including the Parthen and the Acropolis, the Sanctuary of Delphi and the great temples of Olympia. It contains an examination of the Doric, Ionian and Corinthian Orders that influenced the development of great Western architecture from medieval times to the present day. It helps you learn about the sculptors from Pheidias and Polycritus to Praxiteles and Lysippus, and their creations including the Riace bronzes, the Delphi Charioteer, the Farnese Hercules and the Laocoon statue. This title includes over 250 glorious photographs, illustrations and diagrams bring the ancient cities of Athens, Corinth and Sparta to life and reveal the pioneering brilliance of classical Greek art and architecture. This fascinating book explores the importance of art and architecture in the world's first classical civilization, charting the ancient cities from their first foundations to the creation of their towering temples. The first half of this book analyses the rise of Greek architecture from its Mian roots to the creation of that most perfect temple, the Parthen. The second part of this book covers the skill of ancient Greek sculptors and artists, and looks in detail at their techniques. An insightful text plus over 250 photographs, illustrations and maps make this book an indispensable resource on classical Greek art and architecture for both the specialist and general reader.
- Author BiographyNigel Rodgers has written widely on history, philosophy and art. Among his recent published works are Rome: The Greatest Empire, The Roman Army, Roman Architecture and A Military History of Ancient Greece (all published by Southwater). He has also written Incredible Optical Illusions (Simon and Schuster), The Traveller's Atlas (Apple Press); Churchill (Hodder); and Hitler (Hodder), and, with Mel Thompson, Philosophers Behaving Badly (Peter Owen) and Understand Existentialism (Teach Yourself/Hodder).
- Author(s)Nigel Rodgers
- PublisherAnness Publishing
- Date of Publication15/11/2011
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteover 250 colour photographs
- Weight671 g
- Width230 mm
- Height298 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.73Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.