All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom one of America's most distinguished constitutional scholars, an intriguing exploration of America's most famous political tract and its relevance to today's politics The Art of American Still Life reconsiders the development and cultural significance of still-life painting in America, exploring rewned treasures alongside recently discovered works-some previously unpublished-in unexpected ways. Taking an invative approach to the genre, this captivating survey newly divides American still life into four discrete eras, each characterized by a predominant form of vision: describing, indulging, discerning, and animating. Works are grouped in conversations and explored in accompanying texts to reveal wider cultural meaning. Introductory essays investigate the many interactions between still life and American culture, examining the close connections between still-life painting and other visual discourses, including natural history, illustration, and commercial photography; the roles objects have played in American literature and art; the Philadelphia region's defining and lasting impact on the genre; and the reception of still life in American art and art history. The first major study of American still life in a generation, The Art of American Still Life is destined to become a standard reference on the subject.
- Author BiographyMark D. Mitchell is associate curator of American art, Philadelphia Museum of Art. Bill Brown is Karla Scherer Distinguished Service Professor in American Culture, Department of English Language and Literature, University of Chicago. Katie A. Pfohl is curator, Louisiana State University Museum of Art, Baton Rouge. Carol Troyen is Kristin and Roger Servison Curator Emerita of American Paintings, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication02/10/2015
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitlePhiladelphia Museum of Art
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note219 color + 4 b/w illus.
- Weight1952 g
- Width248 mm
- Height299 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byMark D. Mitchell
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.56Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.