All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines the application of drawing in the design process of classical architecture, exploring how the tools and techniques of drawing developed for architecture subsequently shaped theories of vision and representations of the universe in science and philosophy. Building on recent scholarship that examines and reconstructs the design process of classical architecture, John R. Senseney focuses on technical drawing in the building trade as a model for the expression of visual order, showing that the techniques of ancient Greek drawing actively determined concepts about the world. He argues that the uniquely Greek invations of graphic construction determined principles that shaped the massing, special qualities and refinements of buildings and the manner in which order itself was envisioned.
- Author BiographyJohn R. Senseney is Assistant Professor of Ancient History in the School of Architecture at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. His research has ranged from ancient methods of surveying and planning to Plato and book culture, with publications appearing in Hesperia, Sacred Landscapes in Anatolia and Neighboring Regions, the International Journal of the Classical Tradition, and the American Journal of Archaeology.
- Author(s)John R. Senseney
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication14/03/2011
- SubjectThe Arts: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note95 b/w illus.
- Weight720 g
- Width177 mm
- Height253 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.