All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDuring the mid-nineteenth century, Charlotte Birch-Pfeiffer pursued a fifty-year career as a playwright and theater manager in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland at a time of the transformation of court theaters and itinerant troupes into commercial establishments staffed by middle-class professionals and subject to market forces. Although she has been undervalued by some critics past and present who considered her mainly as an adapter of contemporary vels, this study shows that with her thorough kwledge of the European dramatic tradition, her skill as a playwright, and above all her professionalism she overcame institutional and gender bias to develop a form of drama that integrated the social and ecomic changes of her time. The analysis focuses on her use of the subversive genre of comedy, the strategies she used to evade the censor, and her employment of assertive female and working-class characters. She revived commedia dell arte techniques of the past while devising invations that anticipated the subsequent course of drama as well as the film techniques of today.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Rinske van Stipriaan Prichett received her BA in English Literature from University College of the University of Maryland in 1981. Subsequently she studied and taught at the University of Maryland where she received her M.A. in 1984 and her Ph.D. in 1990, both in German Literature. She is a contributor to several works of reference on German women writers and is presently working on a short critical biography of Birch-Pfeiffer to be published as a preface to two of her short satires.
- Author(s)Rinske van Stipriaan Pritchett
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/04/2005
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Series TitleNorth American Studies in Nineteenth-century German Literature and Culture
- Series Part/Volume Number35
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Note7 ill.
- Weight350 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.31
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.70
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.30
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.73
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.19
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.12
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.