All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis succinct book explains how to you can apply the practices of Lean software development to dramatically increase productivity and quality. Based on techniques that revolutionized Japanese manufacturing, Lean principles are being applied successfully to product design, engineering, the supply chain, and w software development. With The Art of Lean Software Development , you'll learn how to adopt Lean practices one at a time, rather than requiring that management embrace the entire methodology at once. As you master each practice, you'll see significant, measurable results.With this book, you will: understand Lean's origins from Japanese industries and how it applies to software development; learn the Lean software development principles and the five most important practices in detail; distinguish between the Lean and Agile methodologies, including their similarities and differences; determine which Lean principles you should adopt first, and how you can gradually incorporate more of the methodology into your process; review several hands-on practices, including descriptions, benefits, trade-offs, and roadblocks; and, learn how to sell these principles to management. The Art of Lean Software Development is concise and to the point, ideal for busy people who want to improve the development process, but can't afford the disruption of a sudden and complete transformation. The Lean approach has been yielding dramatic results for decades, and with this book, you can make incremental changes that will produce immediate benefits.
- Author BiographyCurt Hibbs has always been slightly obsessed with new technologies and tracking technology trends. But he will tell you that this is simply because he is lazy, always looking for new methods and technologies to make his work easier and more productive. This led to his discovery of Ruby in 2001 (when it was still relatively unknown outside of Japan) and to his founding several highly successful Ruby open source projects.For most of his professional career, which started in the early 1970's, Curt has been a consultant to well-known companies like Hewlett Packard, Intuit, Corel, WordStar, Charles Schwab, Vivendi Universal, and more. He has also been a principal in several startups. Curt now works as a Senior Software Engineer for The Boeing Company in St. Louis.Steve Jewett is a software developer with The Boeing Company, where he is involved in the development of network-centric cognitive decision support systems. His software experience started with BASIC and FORTRAN on a DEC PDP 1170 back in high school. The trail from there to the present day includes a litany of languages, a broad spectrum of design strategies and development methodologies, and a bevy of software projects, some of which were actually successful. Over a 20+ year career, he has developed software for automated test equipment, weapon/aircraft integration, embedded systems, desktop applications and web applications. His primary areas of interest are software architecture design and software development methodologies, particularly agile software development and its relationship to lean processes.Mike Sullivan has over 6 years of experience teaching at the university level, and has spent the last 4 years working with software teams in small companies and large corporations to drive valuable solutions and improve team dynamics. He is currently working in a small research team within a large corporation, implementing Lean techniques to improve the software his team delivers. Mike's interests include golf, Cardinals baseball and teaching.
- Author(s)Curt Hibbs,Mike Sullivan,Steve Jewett
- PublisherO'Reilly Media, Inc, USA
- Date of Publication06/02/2009
- SubjectComputing: Professional & Programming
- Place of PublicationSebastopol
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintO'Reilly Media, Inc, USA
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width180 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.