Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionSeize the competitive advantage with today's most powerful strategic tool: mergers and acquisitions Driven by rapid globalization, techlogical advances, and dramatic changes in public policy, industry restructuring has become business as usual . Yet the failure rates in M&A have been high. The best way to compete in this new climate is to make M&A part of your overall business strategy and skill set. The Art of M&A Strategy demystifies this complex subject by taking you step by step through the types of M&A strategy and the process, providing real-world examples of companies that have successfully used M&A in their overall business strategy, such as Cisco, GE, Google and many others. Part I outlines how M&A can create value in strategy. For each of a range of corporate strategy situations, the role and rationale for M&A as a tool is outlined, including: building and managing a business portfolio; participating in industry consolidation; corporate growth; and using acquisitions to create real options . Some well-kwn historic examples are used to illustrate success in strategies of each type that have been achieved through M&A. Part II is a how to guide to the development and execution of a successful M&A strategy. It begins with a review of strategic planning and outlines how to determine the role of M&A, considering the industry context, the competitive imperatives and strategy options. If M&A is selected as one of the strategic weapons, subsequent chapters then outline how to search and screen partner candidates, how to choose between buying and selling, and finally how the board of directors should be engaged in M&A decisions. Part III goes from M&A as an event to sustained strategic M&A programs. In particular, it examines the implications of globalization and the restructuring of industries on a global basis. When M&A is central to strategy, competitive M&A skills are essential, so the book outlines the most strategic aspects of post-merger integration, how to use advisors throughout the process and, moreover, the core competencies required for successful M&A programs. Ken Smith has practiced as a strategy consultant for 25 years, earlier with McKinsey and Company and more recently with SECOR Consulting, where he was also a Managing Partner and Chair. In 2010, Ken accepted an appointment at the University of Guelph as an Associate Professor and Associate Dean of Executive Programs in the College of Management and Ecomics, where he continues research and consulting on business and public policy matters associated with industry restructuring and M&A. Alexandra Reed Lajoux, chief kwledge officer, National Association of Corporate Directors, has three decades of experience in business information. After teaching literature and languages at the university level, she served as editor of a series of professional publications, including Directors & Boards, Mergers & Acquisitions, Export Today, HR Director/Human Capital, and Director's Monthly.
- Author BiographyKen Smith has practiced as a strategy consultant for more than 25 years, initially with McKinsey & Company and most recently with SECOR Consulting, where he was also a managing partner and chair. He is an associate professor at the University of Guelph and associate dean of executive programs in the university's College of Management and Economics. Alexandra Reed Lajoux, chief knowledge officer at the National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD), has three decades of experience in business information and has served as editor for Directors & Boards, Mergers & Acquisitions, and Export Today. She is the author or coauthor of all books to date in McGraw-Hill's acclaimed Art of M&A series.
- Author(s)Alexandra Reed Lajoux,Kenneth Smith
- PublisherMcGraw-Hill Education - Europe
- Date of Publication01/01/2012
- SubjectManagement & Business: General
- Series TitleArt of M&A Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcGraw-Hill Contemporary
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight673 g
- Width152 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine30 mm
Explore Buying Guides
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.