All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStraub/Huillet s work challenges received tions of film. This study takes a feature which is common to all of their films as its starting point for analysing this challenge: all are based on existing works of art. The author investigates how Kafka s writing, music by Schoenberg and Bach and Cezanne s painting engender alternative modes of filmic representation. In these, the shape of time and space and the material features of sounds and images engage the audience s attention; they sensitise the viewer to the material inscriptions of human existence and an utopian potential. It is in this sense that these films are deeply political. By focusing on formal and stylistic features, and the interplay between the films and the works of art which they are based on, this volume responds to the films invitation to see and hear differently.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Ursula Boser was born in Mannheim. She lectures in the Department of Languages and Intercultural Studies at Heriot Watt University in Edinburgh.
- Author(s)Ursula Boser
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/12/2004
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleMedien und Fiktionen
- Series Part/Volume Number4
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Note34 fig.
- Weight400 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byHelmut Schanze
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.51
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.42
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.