All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPhotographic images can, apart from their capacity to show, convey an experience, a quality that has seldom been recognized. In this book, the artist and photographer Maarten Vanvolsem explains how the strip technique can tell a different story of time and space in photographic images, a story that leads to new expressions and experiences of time and movement. The strip technique itself seems to be neglected in the debate on time and photography, although it has a long history-from Muybridge to the photo booth. Its use is widespread and, especially in recent years, more and more artists have rediscovered the technique. Based on an historical overview, a kwledge and understanding of the technique, and experiments with the building of cameras, this book will propose a new use of this forgotten art: a use in which the temporal terms speed, rhythm, and pace are of more value than terms so often associated with photography such as freeze, split second, or capture. Within the book one can find more than thirty artists using the strip technique for their artistic practice.Vanvolsem shows how the technique may be used to rediscover the time-based possibilities of the photographic image.
- Author BiographyMaarten Vanvolsem is lecturer and MA course leader for photography at Sint-Lukas Brussels, University College of Art and Design, and Research Fellow of the Lieven Gevaert Research Centre for Photography at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Author(s)Maarten Vanvolsem
- PublisherLeuven University Press
- Date of Publication31/01/2011
- Series TitleLieven Gevaert Series
- Series Part/Volume Number11
- Place of PublicationLeuven
- Country of PublicationBelgium
- ImprintLeuven University Press
- Content Note33, black & white halftones
- Weight599 g
- Width165 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.51Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.