All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe names Joe Simon and Jack Kirby are synymous with comic books and together their partnership (which began in the 1940s) ushered in the Golden Age of comics and greatly influenced everything that followed. The Simon and Kirby Studio created such memorable characters as Captain America and the Sandman and were the first to publish in comic books the genres of western, crime, horror and romance (later appropriated by Roy Lichtenstein for his pop art paintings). Over the course of three decades together they wrote and illustrated several hundred comics, many of which have never been reprinted since they were first published in the 1940s and '50s. This oversized volume of 386 pages will be organised by genre and cover all aspects of their amazing career, with commentary by Mark Evanier, the foremost authority on the work of Simon and Kirby. All of the images have been photographed from the original art in Joe Simon's private archive, showcasing the seminal work of Simon and Kirby and their artistry as it has never been before.
- Author BiographyMark Evanier, a writer and historian, has written more than 500 comics for Gold Key, DC Comics and Marvel Comics; several hundred hours of television (including Garfield) and is the author of several books including MAD Art and Kirby: King of Comics. Joe Simon was a writer, artist and publisher who served as the first editor of Timely Comics, the company that would later become Marvel Comics. He passed away in December 2011. This book was his idea and the last one he was contracted to publish. Jack Kirby (1917-94) created or co-created some of comic books' most popular characters including Captain America, the X-Men, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four and Thor.
- Author(s)Mark Evanier
- Date of Publication01/11/2014
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2014
- ImprintAbrams ComicArts
- Content Note350 4-colour illu
- Weight2359 g
- Width229 mm
- Height311 mm
- Spine43 mm
- Illustrator(s)Joe Simon,Jack Kirby
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.35Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.