The Art of the Turnaround: Creating and Maintaining Healthy Arts Organizations by Michael M. Kaiser (Hardback, 2008)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $32.82Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $33.68+ AU $28.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMany arts organizations today find themselves in financial difficulties because of ecomic constraints inherent in the industry. While other companies can improve productivity through the use of new techlogies or better systems, these approaches are t available in the arts. Hamlet requires the same number of performers today as it did in Shakespeare's time. The New York Philharmonic requires the same number of musicians w as it did when Tchaikovsky conducted it over one hundred years ago. Costs go up, but the size of theaters and the price resistance of patrons limit what can be earned from ticket sales. Therefore, the performing arts industry faces a severe gap between earnings and expenses. Typical approaches to closing the gap-raising ticket prices or cutting artistic or marketing expenses-don't work. What, then, does it take to create and maintain a healthy arts organization? Michael M. Kaiser has revived four major arts organizations: the Kansas City Ballet, the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, American Ballet Theatre, and London's Royal Opera House. In The Art of the Turnaround he shares with readers his ten basic rules for bringing financially distressed arts organizations back to life and keeping them strong. These rules cover the requirements for successful leadership, the pitfalls of cost cutting, the necessity of extending the programming calendar, the centrality of effective marketing and fund raising, and the importance of focusing on the present with a positive public message. In chapters organized chrologically, Kaiser brings his ten rules vividly to life in discussions of the four arts organizations he is credited with saving. The book concludes with a chapter on his experiences at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, an arts organization that needed an artistic turnaround when he became the president in 2001 and that today exemplifies in practice many of the ten rules he discusses throughout his book.
- Author BiographyMICHAEL M. KAISER is President of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. Dubbed the turnaround king for his work at numerous institutions, Kaiser has earned international renown for his expertise in arts management. A Cultural Ambassador for the U.S. State Department, he advises performing arts organizations around the world, working with arts leaders in Mexico, Pakistan, China, Latin America, and the Arab nations. He has created an online education forum for arts administrators (www.artsmanger.org) where professionals and students in the field can share experiences, seek employment, and post opportunities.
- Author(s)Michael M. Kaiser
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication15/08/2008
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBrandeis University Press
- Weight445 g
- Width152 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.