All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe only extant treatise on statecraft from classical India, the Arthsastra is an invaluable resource for understanding ancient South Asian political thought; it also provides a comprehensive and unparalleled paramic view of Indian society during the period between the Maurya (320-185 BCE) and Gupta (320-497 CE) empires. This volume offers modern English translations of key selections, organized thematically, from the Arthasastra . A general Introduction briefly traces the arc of ancient South Asian history, explains the classical Indian tradition of statecraft, and discusses the origins and importance of the Arthasastra . Thorough explanatory essays and tes set each excerpt in its intellectual, political, and cultural contexts.
- Author BiographyPatrick Olivelle is Professor of Sanskrit and Indian Religions and the Jacob and Frances Sanger Mossiker Chair in the Humanities at the University of Texas at Austin. Mark McClish is Assistant Professor of Religion at Birmingham-Southern College.
- PublisherHackett Publishing Co, Inc
- Date of Publication28/08/2012
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge, MA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHackett Publishing Co, Inc
- Weight300 g
- Width9 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.81Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.