All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor several decades the Western model of development has been criticized forcefully within Asia. But there has been little intellectual articulation of what the alternatives might be - at micro and macro level - from an Asian perspective. Do the various communities in Asia share anything significant beyond an abhorrence of the local effects of globalization and Western dominance? These two volumes bring together the ideas and experiences of some of Asia's outstanding intellectuals and social activists from diverse traditions and faiths. Through in-depth interviews and dialogues an understanding of shared spiritual, social and ecological values emerges. The fourteen contributors have each lived through political upheaval and periods of gross human rights violations. Their common ground is a passionate commitment to achieve change in society, including social justice and ecological sustainability. These are the voices of considered, engaged action and transition in Asia today.
- Author BiographyPracha Hutanawatr is a social activist and intellectual in Thailand. He is currently Director of the Wongsanit Ashram near Bangkok, Deputy Director of Santi Pracha Dhamma Institute, Programme Director for Grassroots Leadership Training and a board member of the Spirit in Education Movement. He has published several major books in Thai and is the translator of works by Thich Nhat Hanh, Fritjof Capra and E. F. Schumacher. Ramu Manivannan is a teacher, scholar and peace activist from India. He has been closely associated with the Alternatives Movement in India and other parts of Asia, and is the founder of the Spirit in Life Movement. He is the author of several books, including Shadows of a Long War: Indian Intervention in Sri Lanka (1988), and an editor of Social Justice, Democracy and Alternative Politics: An Asian-European Dialogue (2001).
- PublisherZed Books Ltd
- Date of Publication25/02/2005
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintZed Books Ltd
- Content Noteports.
- Weight558 g
- Width152 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byPracha Hutanuwatr,Ramu Manivannan
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.